Friday, May 21, 2010

May I Have Your Attention (Deficit) Please?


Today the Pesticide Action Network reported on a new Harvard study showing that even tiny, allowable amounts of a common pesticide class can have dramatic effects on brain chemistry. The Associated Press reports that this research links pesticides with ADHD in children, specifically those used on fruits and vegetables. Experts believe the research is persuasive and should be taken "seriously..and that more research will needed to be to confirm the tie", states Virginia Rauh of Columbia University, who has studied prenatal exposure to pesticides and wasn't involved in the new study.

Since children are still growing; they are especially prone to health risks-based on their consumption versus their relative body weight to adults.

The study noted that 94% of children tested had pesticides detected in their urine and the children with the higher levels had increased chances of having ADHD, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, a common problem that causes students to have trouble in school. Exposure can come from consumption of pesticide-treated foods, breathing in the air that contains pesticide residue or swallowing water that has pesticide residue
"run off". This study shows that what children eat directly impacts their health, regardless of whether or not they were in direct contact with the farm using the pesticides.

A 2008 Emory University study found that in children who switched to organically grown fruits and vegetables, urine levels of pesticide compounds dropped to undetectable or close to undetectable levels.

Because of known dangers of pesticides in humans, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency limits how much residue can stay on food. "But the new study shows it's possible even tiny, allowable amounts of pesticide may affect brain chemistry," Rauh said.

Be a wise green mom consumer and choose clean foods for your children!

1 comment:

whirlwen said...

What I am still unclear on is whether pesticide can be washed and scrubbed off, or if it's absorbed into the tissue of the fruit or vegetable and therefore gets ingested even in spite of diligent washing?